Garden Route & Klein Karoo
Any excuse for a road trip is a good excuse for a road trip! And any road trip in the Garden Route and Klein Karoo will deliver the most awesome scenery - and many wonderful surprises...
Oh yes. And there's the golf, too, of course.
Scroll down for links and info about visiting our neigbouring towns - all within an hour or two's drive from Brenton Bushbuck Lodge.
Beaches, wineries, animal sanctuaries, Nature's Valley, The Crags - Plettenberg Bay (and the villages of Tsitsikamma and Storms River to the east) - Plett is the adventurer's destination on the Garden Route.
- Hike Robberg Nature Reserve
- Watch whales and dolphins: Ocean Adventures
- Visit South Africa's newest wine route
- Visit Monkeyland, Birds of Eden, or Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary
- Enjoy a Tsitsikamma Treetop Canopy Tour at Storms River
- Bungy jump from the world's highest commercial bungy bridge with Face Adrenalin
Our regional capital, George offers all the attractions of a big city - without the inconvenience of actually BEING a big city. Deffs a shopping destination!
Oh, and George Airport is our domestic flight hub - with daily connections to Cape Town and Johannesburg. In case you need to fly in. Or hire a car. And stay at Brenton Bushbuck Lodge (as you do).
- Shopping, cinemas: Garden Route Mall, Eden Meander Lifestyle Centre (among others!)
- Visit the Garden Route Botanical Garden - pretty walks, MTB trails, geocaching, plant sales, tea garden
- Redberry Farm - pick-your-own strawberries, kids activities, bumper boats, hedge maze...
- George Museum - don't miss this one if you're interested in the history of our local forests
If you've never been to Mossel Bay, you're in for many pleasant surprises - because it's steeped in history and culture, and it boasts amazing beaches and mountain destinations.
- Learn about our ancient ancestors on a Point of Human Origins walk at the Pinnacle Point Caves - which have revealed the earliest evidence for modern human behaviour (going back 164,00 years)
- Visit the Dias Museum Complex - maritime and shell museums, the famous Post Office Tree where the old sailors used to leave letters for one another - and where you can still post letters to this day (Postage. Remember that?)
- Take tea - or play a game of bowls, or walk or ride in the forests or fynbos - in the Outeniqua Mountains at Eight Bells Mountain Inn
- Take a guided game drive, bush trail, or horseback safari to view the wildlife at Botlierskop Private Nature Reserve
- Drive deep into the foothills of the Outeniquas to enjoy wine tasting, walking, pizzas. or great MTB in the vineyards at Jakkalsvlei Private Cellar
- Get your freshly roasted coffee or enjoy an authentic Israeli lunch at the unique Baruch's Coffee Roastery
Oudtshoorn & the Klein Karoo
Ostriches, caves, and wines - and the warmest hospitality! The Klein Karoo is the semi-arid region north of the Outeniqua Mountains (which lie to the north of Brenton Bushbuck Lodge). With our spectacular mountain passes, getting there is half the fun..
- Klein Karoo Wine Route - while the villages of de Rust and Calitzdorp are known for their dessert wines, the farmers in the Klein Karoo region grow many, many different varieties of grapes - and the winemakers have won hundreds of awards. You can't go wrong with our Klein Karoo wines!
- Cango Caves - Africa's most famous show caves (but remember that you have to book!). Allow about 2 hours driving time from Brenton Bushbuck Lodge.
- Meet the birds on a tour of Safari Ostrich Show Farm near Oudtshoorn
- Take a game drive (bush safari) or meet the meerkats at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge near Oudtshoorn
- The CP Nel Museum in Oudtshoorn houses collections of old vehicles and old musical instruments - and the preserved interior of one of the local synagogues (which was decorated in the style of synagogues in Poland in the 19th Century - and it's still in use)
Golf in the Garden Route
The Garden Route is South Africa's golf Mecca. Here're just some of the reasons why:
- Plettenberg Bay Country Club: 18 hole par 72 golf course in a private nature reserve. This club also has two bowling greens and four all-weather tennis courts. - and visitors are welcome.
- Goose Valley Golf Club: 72 par, 18-hole course designed by Gary Player.
- Fancourt - Three courses (The Links, Montagu, Outeniqua) plus practice facilities and a golf academy
- Oubaai - 18-hole championship golf course designed by Ernie Els
- George Golf Club - historic, 18 hole, par 72 landscape course